This is how you can stick items such as a home button and about us onto the nav bar which is usually only for categories.
- First create a category page with the name that you want the page to be.
- Go to URlL rewrites, and select the newly created one (whatever you called it.)
- See where it says redirect on a drop down, change this to 301 perminant.
- Save this and go back to the URL rewrites main page.
- Click create a new rewrite, this is on the right above the search box.
- Select custom on the drop down
- The ID is just a refernce for you. So Put whatever you like so you can ID it later.
- The requested ID is the target path of the page you want to change (the category we just created, this is mostly likely going to be something like catolog/category/view/id/ a number.
- Then put in the target path, this is the address you want the link to go to. (If this is your home page, include you whole link, for example "http://ryanrussell.co.uk" )
- Select Perminant redirect on this one to.
- Click save and test.
- Your link now works, any problems just leave me a comment and I'll help best I can.